Use this dialog box to specify a string to search for, as well as options to use when searching for text in a document.
Dialog Box Options
- Provides a space for you to specify the search text, regular expression, or the hexadecimal value to match. Type the text or expression in the Find box. Use the drop-down list to select previous search strings. If you use regular expressions, be sure the Regular Expression check box is selected. If you use hexadecimal value, be sure the HEX-mode check box is selected.
- Hexadecimal mode will be used to set character by character in hexadecimal numbers. You can also input normal text in the hexadecimal mode, but it must be quoted using double quotes. So if you set '01 02 "text" 00', it will be a pattern with 7 characters, 2+4+1.
- Search forward
- When selected, indicates that the direction of the search will be from the current view position to the end of the file.
- Search backward
- When selected, indicates that the direction of the search will be from the current view position to the beginning of the file.
- Whole words
- When selected, finds text strings that match the Find string and are preceded and followed by a space, tab, or punctuation character, or are at the start or end of a line. Otherwise, the search finds any matching string, whether it is a fragment of a larger string or not.
- Case sensitive
- When selected, searches for text strings that match the case of the characters in the Find string exactly. Otherwise, the search finds strings with either uppercase or lowercase characters that match the characters in the Find string.
- Regular expression
- When checked, type regular expression to the Find box. The regular expressions are much more powerful then the simple text expressions, you can use them to find texts, which have specified attributes. These attributes are for example "pattern begins at the beginning of line", "pattern ends at the end of line", "pattern starts with some prefix and ends with some suffix", "pattern is one word from a set of words", or "pattern contains only characters from some character sequence (e.g. numbers)".