Download Altap Salamander 4.0 - Freeware
Altap Salamander (including all plugins) from version 4.0 becomes freeware for both commercial and non-commercial use. Users of older Salamander versions can upgrade to version 4.0 free of charge. Version 4.0 requires Windows 7 or newer. There are not other limitations compared to commercial version 3.08.
Language versions: English, Czech, Dutch, French, German, Hungarian, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, and Spanish languages are included.
System requirements: Any PC running Microsoft Windows 10, 8.1, 7 (both 32-bit and 64-bit versions).Release Notes
Which Altap Salamander version should I install: the 64-bit or 32-bit version?
- To install a 64-bit version of Altap Salamander you need a 64-bit version of Windows.
- You can install a 32-bit version of Altap Salamander to both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows.
- It is perfectly fine to install both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Altap Salamander on 64-bit Windows.
- The registration key is valid for both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Altap Salamander.
- Both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Altap Salamander are sharing the same configuration.
- Running 32-bit Altap Salamander on 64-bit Windows has several drawbacks:
- Context menu displayed for files and directories will be different comparing to context menu displayed from Windows Explorer. Reason: 32-bit applications can't load 64-bit shell extensions.
- Altap Salamander will show different content for directory %windir%\System32 comparing to Windows Explorer. Reason: part of emulation layer for running 32-bit applications on 64-bit Windows is redirecting access to this directory. See File System Redirector article for more details.
- Altap Salamander will show different content for registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software comparing to Windows Registry Editor. Reason: part of emulation layer for running 32-bit applications on 64-bit Windows is redirecting access to this registry key. See Registry Redirector article for more details.
- Unfortunately WinSCP plugin is missing in 64-bit Altap Salamander, so it is a good idea also install 32-bit version of Altap Salamander. We hope Martin Prikryl (WinSCP author) will be able to prepare 64-bit version of WinSCP plugin.