Create New Archive
Use this dialog to setup compression and encryption parameters for 7-Zip archive.
Note: If archive already exists, title of this dialog box will be Add Files to Archive.
- Encrypt files, Password, Confirm password
- When checked, files will be encrypted before adding to archive file. Enter (and confirm) a password needed for decryption.
- Compression level
- Choose the compression level. You can use one of the following values:
Value Description Store No compression is used, files are just stored in archive in its original size. Fast Fast compression. Normal Recommended level of compression. Maximum Better compression, but it is slower and needs more memory. Ultra Best compression, but it is even slower and needs even more memory.
- Compression method
- Select the compression method. You can use one of the following methods:
Method Description LZMA 7-Zip's default compression method. It provides high compression ratio and very fast decompression. PPMd Dmitry Shkarin's PPMdH algorithm with small changes. Usually it provides high compression ratio and high speed for text files.
- Dictionary size
- Enter the dictionary size for the compression method. The higher dictionary size means the better compression, but it is slower and needs more memory. Memory usage for LZMA compressing is about 10 times more than dictionary size. Memory usage for LZMA decompressing is close to value of dictionary size. Memory usage for PPMd compressing and decompressing is almost equal to dictionary size.
- Word size
- Enter the length of words, which will be used to find identical sequences of bytes for compression. Usually for LZMA big word size gives a little bit better compression ratio and slower compression process. Big word size parameter can significantly increase compression ratio in case when files contain long identical sequences of bytes. For PPMd word size has big meaning. It strongly affects both compression ratio and compression/decompression speed.
- Create solid archive
- When checked, all files will be compressed as one continuous data stream. It usually improves compression ratio.
- Don't show this dialog box again (you can change it later in config dialog)
- When checked, this dialog will not be displayed next time. You can change it in the 7-Zip configuration dialog box, see Display dialog box with extended options before packing.
- Use this button to open the 7-Zip configuration dialog box.