Servant Salamander 2.5 beta 1 Changelog
Release date: May 31, 2003
- Operations Copy, Move, Delete, and others are running at background, the main window is not blocked.
- You can view thumbnails (reduced pictures, etc.) in panel.
- Compare Directories can compare content of files and works with subdirectories.
- PictView plugin supports Full Screen mode, can open next/previous picture, can save picture to GIF, JPG, and other formats, has support for scanners.
- File Comparator plugin for text/binary files compare (2 files are side by side).
- Find contains Refine (search in files that were found previously), Append (add to found files), Find Duplicate Files, and has more powerful Advanced options.
- Registry Editor plugin for browsing of Windows Registry in panel.
- Split/Combine plugin for splitting and combining of files.
- FTP Search plugin for files searching on public FTP servers.
- Database Viewer plugin for DBF and CSV (Comma Separated Values) files.
- TAR plugin now supports: TAR, TGZ, TAZ, TBZ, GZ, BZ, BZ2, Z, RPM, and CPIO.
- viewing and searching in files with size over 4 GB.
- UnMIME plugin supports MIME, UUEncode, XXEncode, and BinHex encoded files.
- UnLHA plugin supports LHA/LZH archives.
- Much more features are listed below.
State of project Servant Salamander 2.5 on May 20, 2003
- We are preparing Servant Salamander 2.5 beta 1 for release.
- Operations Copy, Move, Delete and other are running at background, the main window is not blocked.
- Drag and drop extracting files and directories from archive is supported.
- FTP Client news: plugin will be released with the next beta version of Servant Salamander 2.5. Files upload and download code is not finished by that time.
State of project Servant Salamander 2.5 on February 28, 2003
- FTP Client news: We have finished keep-alive feature. It prevents FTP server
from closing connection due to no activity of client. It can work in two modes: without
data transfer (sending of NOOP or PWD command - fast, but it doesn't work on
most of servers) and with data transfer (sending of NLST or LIST command -
slower, but it works on all servers). We have finished memory cache for
lists of files and directories from server. All visited paths on server can
be reopened without any communication with server (your computer can be
off-line). We continue in work on recursive file operations.
Any number of concurrent operations is possible. Salamander's main window
is not blocked until end of operation. Each operation can use any
number of concurrent connections. Operations with small files or without data
transfers (Delete, Change Attributes) are much faster with more than one
connection. Each operation
tries to finish as much work as possible without need of assistance of user.
It means no modal message-boxes with errors, automatic selection of next work
if current work can't be finished, reconnecting, resuming, using alternate
filenames, etc. Operation can borrow opened connection from panel and after doing
its work it can return this connection back to panel. It's handy for smaller
operations and for servers with limited number of allowed connections from
We have attached some screenshots from nowadays version: Copy operation dialog in basic mode: , Copy operation dialog in detailed mode: , Change Attributes dialog: , Change Attributes operation dialog in detailed mode: , solving of connection error (after clicking on Solve Error button): , configuration of operations defaults: .
- We have added option for files content compare and for compare including subdirectories to Compare Directories command. Quick Rename command can also work directly in panel (on single mouse click as in Explorer). Selected/unselected files in panel can be hidden. Find Files and Directories dialog contains newly Refine (find in found files and directories), Append (add to found files and directories), and Find Duplicates (find files with same name, size, or even content) commands.
- We have finished some frequently wanted features in PictView (e.g. Full Screen view mode, open next/previous picture from panel or Find dialog, saving to GIF, JPG, and other formats, Screen Capture command, support for scanners).
- We have finished plugin for browsing of Windows Registry in panel.
State of project Servant Salamander 2.5 on October 25, 2002
- We have finished parsing of text listings from server in FTP Client. It supports
following types of FTP servers now (in couple of versions): Unix, Novell
Netware, VMS, MVS, IBM z/VM (CMS), and NetPresenz (MACOS). Each type of
server defines its own columns in panel and rules for parsing. Everyone can
add own definition of new type of server. Types of servers can be
also exported and imported from files, so adding support for
other types of servers would be very flexible. We are working on support for recursive
(in other words: "including subdirectories") file operations now.
We have attached some screenshots from nowadays version: browsing two different FTP servers (Unix and VMS): , browsing MVS (IBM mainframe) server: , server types in configuration: , editing VMS1 server type: , editing VMS1 server type rules for parsing: , testing parsing rules for IBM z/VM (CMS) server type on sample of text listing: .
State of project Servant Salamander 2.5 on July 30, 2002
- We continue in work on FTP Client. We have finished working with paths (changing of current directory, etc.) on various types of servers (Unix, Windows/Netware, VMS, MVS). We have increased tolerance for connection failures during operations on server (e.g. connecting, changing of path, and listing of current directory). If connection fails, it's restored automatically and operation is repeated. If there's no operation in progress, connection failure is only reported and connection is restored just before next operation. We have finished listing of current directory on server. It supports active (PORT) just as passive (PASV) mode of data connection. Downloading (from server) and uploading (to server) of files work the same way as listing. So all problems in communication with server are solved. We will work on parsing of files and directories information from text received from FTP server during listing (current working version displays this text in one column only, this simple mode will be used only for unsupported servers where parsing fails). Then we will add support for recursive (in other words: "including subdirectories") file operations on foreground (it freezes panel and uses active connection) just as on background (it doesn't freeze panel and uses new connection to server). We have attached some screenshots from nowadays version:    .
- We have added menu, toolbar, and commands for rotating, cropping, and saving of images to PictView plugin. See the new look of PictView: .
- We have added support for additional web-based searching services to FTP Search plugin. It uses twelve services for searching now.
- Offline Media Browser plugin is fully functional and supports merged views of directories (handy for directories which occupy several disks), getting of MP3 tags from files, and offline searching for files and directories.
- Encrypt plugin is nearly finished. We have finished shredding of files and disk free space. We are working on files encrypting - the last thing to do is cryptographically strong generator of random numbers (designed accordingly to the paper of well-known researcher Peter Gutmann).
- We prepare new plugin which should replace MP3 Viewer plugin. Sound Viewer plugin will support MP3 ID3v2 tags and other formats (WAV, OGG, etc.).
State of project Servant Salamander 2.5 on April 24, 2002
- We are working on FTP client. We have finished support for logging of communication with FTP server and operations with these logs (saving to disk, copying to clipboard, etc.). We have finished service for sending user commands to FTP server (support for extra services of FTP server). This service will be used internally for all other communication with FTP server. We are continuing in work on parsing of files and directories information from text received from FTP server. We have attached some screenshots from nowadays version:     .
- Plugin for decoding of MIME, UUEncode, XXEncode, and BinHex supports also decoding of yEnc now (yEncoder/yDecoder for Usenet).
- We have added command Shared Directories in Commands menu. This command shows the list of shared directories. You can open them in panel or stop their sharing.
- We are working on Servant Salamander SDK. Plugins interface was extended by interfaces for HyperLink, Menu, MenuBar, ToolBar, ProgressBar, button with arrow, and button for choosing of colors. Plugins can use these windows to enrich its look.
- We are working on Offline Media Browser plugin for cataloguing of removable media. We have finished saving and loading of media data. It has relatively flexible format, so it allows storing of various data about files. E.g. content of files (handy for files like readme.txt), thumbnails, MP3 tags, picture sizes, etc. This data will be available for viewing and searching without need to insert appropriate media. We are working on user interface of this plugin now.
- We prepare Multimedia Viewer plugin for playing audio and video files. Viewer will be based on Media Control Interface (MCI) provided by operating system.
State of project Servant Salamander 2.5 on February 15, 2002
- Due to lack of time and essential changes in plugin interface we are not able to release new plugins in version for Servant Salamander 2.0. These plugins will be released as a part of version 2.5, so immediately after finishing of the FTP Client plugin.
- Work on FTP Client continues. We have finished exploration of competitive products and have designed interface and functions of FTP Client to be most suitable for Servant Salamander. We are working on parsing of files and directories information from text received from FTP server now. Each kind of FTP server uses different format of this listing. Our point is to let user to specify own description of this format (there are too many types of FTP servers). We have attached some screenshots from nowadays version:   .
- We have finished FTP Search plugin for files searching on public FTP servers. Plugin sends user's request to web-based service designated to search in content of these FTP servers and shows found files in its own window. You can download found files using FTP client. It's possible to easily add support for other web-based services.
- The UnRAR plugin supports RAR 3.0 archives.
- Support for Z and CPIO archive formats were added to the TAR plugin. You can use the TAR plugin to unpack archives with following extensions: TAR, TGZ, TAZ, TBZ, GZ, BZ, BZ2, Z, RPM, and CPIO.
- We have started to work on plugin for cataloguing of removable media. User will be able to store media contents to plugin's database and later to browse them in panel. Finding in this database will be also supported. When user will try to open some file from this database, plugin will ask him/her to insert appropriate media.
- We have started to work on plugin for browsing of Windows Registry in panel. Plugin should replace system utility RegEdit. Its advantage will be ability to use Quick Search when browsing in panel, to store registry paths to Hot Paths, and to copy, move, and delete keys and values as if they were directories and files.
- You can lock toolbars and so prevent their unwanted dragging.
- Panels support two new display modes: icons and thumbnails. Panel in icon mode shows icons (size is 32x32 points) with names of files and directories under icons. Panel in thumbnail mode shows reduced views of file content. Following pictures explain these modes better:  .
- Commands in User Menu can be placed in submenus now. We have also supported starting of screen savers and items from Control Panel.
- You can select one of three user's skill levels (beginning, intermediate, and advanced) in program options. Beginning users will see only most important commands in menus. When they learn them, they can switch to richer versions of menus.
- Hot key Ctrl+N was added again. It sets optimal column widths in panel. It solves situation when column with long names of files have shifted other columns out of visibility.
- We have added page History to the Configuration dialog. You can choose if you want to save histories (lists of used values). You can also clear all histories (it works in plugins too) from this page.
State of project Servant Salamander 2.5 on November 13, 2001
- We have finished interface for "file-system" plugins. We are working on FTP client plugin now.
- We have added support for code pages used in West Europe. We have added support for code pages used for Cyrillic (Russia, Ukraine, Bulgaria, etc.).
- Automatic recognition of file code page was added to viewers.
- Internal viewer can automatically recognize file type (text or binary file).
- We have finished plugin for files compare. It supports text and also binary files.
- We have added support for viewing and searching in files with size over 4 GB (only on Windows NT/2000/XP, Windows 9x/ME doesn't support such files). Internal viewer handles files with size up to 8 EB and the Find command handles files up to 16 EB (maximum on Win32 platform). Servant Salamander is completely prepared for work with even so big files now.
- The Email command (the Files menu) was added to make sending of selected files using electronic mail easier. We plan to add option to automatically compress files (to ZIP archives) before sending.
- Better support for "My Network Places" (Windows ME and 2000). Shortcuts of network drives work correctly.
- PEViewer plugin doesn't display text files (e.g. CONFIG.SYS). These files are displayed in internal viewer.
- CheckVer plugin supports connecting to Internet using HTTP and FTP-passive protocols. It's possible to use CheckVer even behind firewalls in companies now.
- Plugin for viewing DBF and CSV (Comma Separated Values) files will support automatic recognition of values delimiter in CSV files.
- We have added the Drives toolbar, which contains all logical drives. Clicking on this toolbar allows you to change drive in panel (it makes work with mouse easier).
- The Find command supports the Refine function (new search in files that were found by previous search).
State of project Servant Salamander 2.5 on September 25, 2001
- We have finished plugin UnACE 2.0. It supports unpacking of ACE 2.0 archives.
- Support for RPM archives was added to TAR plugin. You can use TAR plugin to unpack archives with following extensions: TAR, TGZ, GZ, TBZ, BZ, BZ2, and RPM.
- We have finished Split/Combine plugin for splitting and combining of files. Files can be split to parts fitting some standard medium size (3.5" floppy, ZIP 100MB, ZIP 250MB, or LS 120) or to user-defined parts. Plugin calculates checksum (CRC32) for file before splitting, so when it combines file parts back to this file, it can check if the resulting file is correct. Plugin also creates batch file (.BAT) for combining of file parts without Servant Salamander. You can run this batch file on every computer with MS-DOS or Windows operating systems.
- We have started to work on plugin for encrypting of files and directories. Plugin Encrypt will compress files and directories using BZIP2 algorithm and then it will encrypt them using specified password. It will support following encryption algorithms: AES (Advanced Encryption Standard, originally Rijndael; keys have up to 256 bits), BlowFish (keys have up to 448 bits), and 3-DES (keys have 168 bits). You will be able to choose these hash functions: SHA-1, SHA-2, and HAVAL. Plugin will also support file shredding and free disk space shredding. It will be based on following specifications: DoD 5220.22-M (Department of Defense: NISPOM) and Peter Gutmann: Secure Deletion of Data from Magnetic and Solid-State Memory. Shredding means multiple overwriting by special pattern to irreversible destruct the original data (common deleting doesn't destroy data, so they can be restored).
- Plugin for viewing DBF files supports CSV (Comma Separated Values) file format. Due to definable columns separator, it can also view tab-delimited files (columns separated by tabulator character).
State of project Servant Salamander 2.5 on August 30, 2001
- There are 7 men working on project Servant Salamander 2.5 (including plugins).
- We are finishing interface for "file-system" plugins. The first file-system plugin will be FTP client. We are working on this interface for several months now. It is far more complicated than currently used interfaces for viewers and archivers. File-system plugins will be able to display new columns in panel and own icons, set content of information line, handle command line, and to handle standard commands. E.g. the Copy command (F5) in plugin FTP client works as file download or upload. We'll work on plugin for network browsing (UNC paths browsing) and Windows Registry browsing and editing when we finish FTP client. Another planned plugin adds support for direct interconnection of two computers using parallel cable or TCP/IP connection. Time-consuming development of interface for file-system plugins brings us ability to simply create all needed plugins as in case of viewers and archivers.
- We have added support for language versions. All language dependent resources are separated in standalone libraries SLG. On start of Servant Salamander, you will be able to choose your language.
- We are finishing ALTAP Translator. It's software for easy localization and making of localization upgrades (it's needed always when we release newer version). Servant Salamander 2.5 will be available in English, German, and Czech language. Other languages will follow from independent translators.
- We are working on plugin for text files compare. Both files are displayed concurrently each in one half of window. Differences are highlighted using various colors.
- We have finished plugin for decoding of MIME, UUEncode, XXEncode, and BinHex encoded files. These encodings are used for files attached to e-mails.
- TAR plugin supports BZIP2 archives.
- We are working on plugin for unpacking of RPM archives. They are used for software distribution in Linux (e.g. Red Hat distribution).
- We have finished plugin for LHA/LZH archives.
- We are working on plugin for splitting and joining of files.
- We are working on DBF viewer plugin (supports dBase II, dBase III, dBase IV, FoxPro/FoxBase).
- We are finishing Eroiica viewer plugin for XLS, DOC, RTF, PDF, and PS documents (all versions of Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word).
- We are finishing Eroiica viewer plugin for DWG, DXF, CGM, DGN, DRW, HPGL, ME10, PICT, RIS, and SAT vector images.
- Quick search of names in panel allows searching for names matching simple mask now (e.g. test*.doc or *.xls).
- The Convert command and internal text/hex viewer supports IBM EBCDIC coding now.
- The Copy and Move commands (F5/F6) can create nonexistent part of target path (such path must be followed by backslash).
- Copying to archives (packing) is independent on target panel content. You can copy from disk to any archive you want without opening the archive in target panel.
- Refreshing on slow network drives is optimized. Panel content is refreshed only if you make some change on displayed path.
- Basic operations (Quick Rename, View, Alternate View, Edit, and Delete) allow working with files with problematic names (problematic for file managers without Unicode support).
- PictView (image viewer plugin) will support image saving and conversion to couple of basic formats.